Sunday, October 19, 2008

When I grow up...

When I grow up, I want to be a Housewife. Not of the desperate sort but one who is fulfilled and nourished by providing a home for her family. It took us so long to have children that I became "a career girl". Which is fine, it was actually great. It taught me a lot about myself, about how I feel about the world around me and is a large contributor to who I am today. The problem with that is, I'm not sure I like the person I am today. I firmly believe that you can have it all. Just not all at once. My career has grown considerably over the last few years and next year, I'll have an even bigger chance to make an impact at my firm. Things are really looking up and I have an unbelievable opportunity to really reap the bounty of my harvest. Problem is my little one's, their only little for so long. How well am I harvesting them? They are really my life's work. Don't get me wrong, they have a great life. And a fabulous Daddy who works from his home office and is able to give them a lot of time and attention. I guess you could say we are in reverse caregiver modes. I leave the house at 7:15 each day, returning at 6:15. Daddy gets them ready for daycare, goes to gymnastics, school parties, and cooks dinner. I clean the house, clean the kids and kiss them goodnight. Wow~ writing that made me take pause and explained why I feel like a servant. I...wow...I can't even finish this post. Or post the cute picture I have picked out. I have some soul searching to do.

A parting wish for all of you, I hope you feel fulfilled in whatever it is that you do.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh your post really just hit home with me! I am now 33 and hubs and I are just starting to try to have children (another subject all on its own) but I'm in the same boat. I am a career lady and love it, but when the babies come along (and please say a prayer for me that they will sooner than later!) I think I will suffer from a real identity crisis! Is it possible to do both and be both at the same time? I don't know that it is and worry about that. I just pray that God will lead me through it and help me find where He wants me to be. I hope you find your place in it all and some peace about where you are.

Scarlet O'Kara said...

I was a career woman who "never" wanted children...until I was blessed with them. Now I am a SAHM who loves my new career.

I can understand your situation...'cause if the economy keeps getting worse...I have to head back out and work outside of the home again.

Blessing to you and your family.